This is historical material, "frozen in time." The web site is no longer updated and links to external web sites and some internal pages will not work.


Posted on Sep 23, 2019 in Latest Department News

HONOLULU — The Pre-Disaster Mitigation Program (PDM) provides funding opportunities to State agencies, County governments, and certain Private Non-Profit (PNP) organizations to implement mitigation projects to protect lives and properties. To be eligible, a project must be listed in the State Mitigation Plan or County Mitigation Plan. This program authorizes that 75% of the project cost will be funded by Federal funds. The sub-applicant is responsible for the remaining 25% which must be from a non-Federal source.

The Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grant program provides funding assistance to State agencies, County governments, and certain PNPs to reduce risk or eliminate the risk of repetitive flood damage to buildings and structures which are insurable under the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). As in the case with the PDM, eligible projects must be included in the State Hazard Mitigation Plan or County Mitigation Plan. Funding is provided on a 75%/25% basis with the sub-applicant accountable for the 25% portion from non-Federal sources.

HI-EMA will review all applications and will determine the funding priorities.

Further details are available on the FEMA website under the fact sheets for both programs.

Please submit your notice of intent (NOI) to submit project applications for both mitigation programs to HI-EMA via the Survey Monkey website:



The deadline to submit NOIs is October 4, 2019.

If you have questions, require further information, or require technical assistance, please contact Larry Kanda at (808) 733-4300, ext. 516 or [email protected].

# # #



Arlina Agbayani

Public Relations Officer

[email protected]



Hawai’i Emergency Management Agency

[email protected]


Ryan Senaga

Public Relations Assistant

Hawaii Emergency Management Agency (Hawaii-EMA)

3949 Diamond Head Road

Honolulu, HI 96816

Work phone: 733-4300 x540

Cellular: 808-292-1949

[email protected]